Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Soldier

I was hesitant to post this.  I wrote this on Facebook a couple months ago.  The first portion I wrote when I lost my faith, then four days later I regained my faith and wrote the second portion of it.  It's just some creative writing on how I was feeling so it's fictional.  I'm still not sure if I should post this, and may take it down later due to it being kinda personal (even though I posted it on Facebook).


From Soldier to Ronin


I was a warrior, a soldier, who served a king.  A king of goodness, justice, faithfulness, and grace.  I loved this king more than anything.  He saved me when the enemy almost killed me.  He was always with me, I was never alone on the battlefield.  The enemy attacked me many times, nearly killing me, but the king always came for me.  One day, the enemy got to me again.  I cried out for help from the king, but he never came for me.  I kept holding onto hope that the king would come for me, but he never came.  The enemy captured me, I longed for the great king to rescue me, but again, he never came.  I pleaded for the king to come for me, but there was only silence in my dungeon except for the tears that fell from my face - the tears of losing hope.
I managed to find a way to escape the prison, but not very far.  There was a person in the same soldier uniform as me - they served the king as well.  I thought they came to rescue me.  We ran away from the prison until we reached a ledge.  The person pushed me down and I grabbed onto the ledge with my hand trying to pull myself back up.  "Why?  Why are you pushing me down to the depths?  We're on the same team, the same mission!  We both serve the king!  Help me please!"  The person grabbed my hand and said, "The only thing I regret was trying to help you."  They let go of my hand and I fell down the depths.  I saw a white dove fly by, I tried to touch it but it left.  A white feather landed in my hand and I held onto it tightly, crying for the king to save me.  I fell to the ground.  I tried to get up after such a deep fall, but my injuries were severe.  Someone from the distance came towards me.  There were many coming towards me.  "Could it be?  Could it be the king?"  The figures came closer, and I realized it wasn't the king: it was the enemy I had runaway from.  I tried to get up but I couldn't get up to run or fight.  The enemy commander came to me, and laughed, "You thought you could run from us?  You are gravely mistaken!"  Two of the soldiers of the enemy grabbed me.  The commander stripped me and put chains on my arms, legs, and around my neck.  I realized then the king was not coming for me.  All hope was lost.  The enemy led me back to the dungeon, but now I was stuck.  They chained me to the wall.  When I realized the king wasn't coming for me, I realized I went from being a soldier to the king, to being a ronin, a warrior without a master.  There is no way out of this dungeon now unless the king rescues me.  Will he rescue me and I become a soldier of his again?  Or will I be a ronin, a lone soul, just decaying in the dungeon of hell?


The Rescued Soldier

 

I was in the dungeon, having given up hope of ever being rescued or ever escaping again.  The chains were hot, burning my skin, and tight.  I began to reflect on my life.

I remembered before I had met the King.  I was no longer human, but had become a destructive beast.  But when I met the King, he turned me back into a human, and the beast within had become imprisoned.  But after the beast was imprisoned, it would always try to get out, but the good King helped me not let that ugly beast come out.

Suddenly, I started to transform.  My skin became like heavy fur, my eyes glowed, I had claws and fangs.  The beast had taken over again - the beast won.  Inside I wept.  I had become what I had promised to never become again.  I was not only trapped in the prison of hell, but the prison of the beast as well.  Inside I screamed, "Someone help me!  I don't want to be this beast!"  It seemed like no one could hear me through the snarls of the beast.  Even if anyone could hear me in this prison, I had become what they wanted me to be.  The chains got even tighter.  They burned like molting fire.  My eyes glowed in the darkness, but I still couldn't see.

Then, after I cried out one last time, a bright light shone.  The guards ran for their dear lives.  The light was so bright, I couldn't see the figure in it.  I covered my eyes, and somehow this light felt familiar.  Love came from this light.  Suddenly the door opened....the chains broke off me!  Someone called my name, not the beast's name, but my real name, and I recognized this voice.  It was so pure with power in it.  I uncovered my eyes and I saw the figure.  My eyes opened wide when I recognized it was the King!  I began to transform again.  I let out a loud roar as if the beast in me didn't want to leave.  It was as if the beast was in pain.  The heavy fur began to turn back into skin, my claws turned into hands and feet, my fangs turned into my normal teeth, and my glowing eyes turned into my human brown eyes.  I fell to the ground.  I looked at my hands and realized I was back to being a human again.  Tears dropped from my eyes and I crawled to the King and wept.  "You came for me!  I thought you forgot about me but you came for me!"  The King held me and was about to take me out of the dungeon when the dungeon master came yelling, "You can't take her, she abandoned you!  Your soldier went AWOL and for that is my prisoner!"  The good King turned to the dungeon master and pointed His double-edged sword at him, "She's mine!"  We vanished from the dungeon.

We appeared outside His Kingdom.  I was so ashamed of myself.  The King had not abandoned me, I had abandoned Him.  The King smiled at me and said, "You will be needing this."  It was a soldiers uniform representing his Kingdom.  I asked, "Why?  I abandoned you!  Aren't you afraid I'll do it again?  I'm not worthy to serve you and your Kingdom!"  The good King chuckled, "A lot of soldiers aren't worthy on their own, I make them worthy.  I am making you worthy."  I put the uniform on and the King gave me a thumbs up, "Suits you well!"  I laughed, the King had a sense of humor when I really needed it.  I hugged the good King and told Him I was so sorry for leaving Him.  He kissed me on the head and said, "I forgive you, I will always forgive you."   The King looked me in the eyes and said, "No matter how far you stray from me, I will always bring you back to me."


No comments:

Post a Comment