Tuesday, February 20, 2018

In the Face of Fear

How do we face fear?




God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.

Psalm 46:1





"Don't be afraid.  Take courage, I am here!"

Matthew 14:27





Fear is a BIG thing for me.  I am afraid of everything!  Lately, some things have been happening that really terrifies me to my core.  I mean, it's hard enough to be getting out of my comfort zone (like in my recovery); but there are some things going on that are scaring me even more!  I'm terrified of spiders, but what's been going on, I'm more terrified of that than spiders!  Spiders make me scream and cry like a baby.  This though, I am literally begging God to change His plans (if they are His plans)!  I know that's pretty ridiculous, God changing plans?  Anyway, I'm not quite ready to talk about it yet, but I probably will eventually (I'm not in any harm).

Anyway, one of my biggest fears is going to surprise you.  I talk about God all the time in my blog - heck, the point in my blog is to show my struggles in hopes that it will give hope to those who are struggling, and understanding to those who aren't.  I want to show people God's love for them.  He loves you more than you could ever imagine; and though I can't show you just how much he loves you, I want to show you even just a little bit of his love for you.  My fear though?  My fear is actually talking about God - ESPECIALLY in person.  I'm not completely sure why, my theory though is that I'm afraid of not saying something accurate about him, or turning people further away from him.  I fear failure.  It's hard for me to talk about it even on my blog, but in person it absolutely cripples me with fear.  I like talking about him, I just get so afraid.  I also feel unqualified.  For over a decade my foundation was very weak, and only since this past summer has it been getting stronger.

I remember this one time when my husband and I were playing games at a game shop, and there were some people mocking Jesus.  I was so angry, I wanted to say something.  But I chickened out, and that night I wept bitterly because I was too afraid to say anything.  I'm a coward.

Another time recently I saw someone post on Facebook that said "Jesus f****** Christ" with a picture of him doing....you can guess I'm sure.  It angered me and I felt hurt at the same time.  I was hurt because how depraved must a person be to post such a thing?  What must they be going through in their own lives to make such a joke?  If they only knew how much he loves them even though they mock him....once again though, I was silent.

Why are we afraid though?  The God of the universe is on our side!  He can conquer anything, heck, he conquered death itself!  Surely he can help us with our problems!  Jesus said to not be afraid, because he is here!  He is with us!  What have we got to fear that God can't help us get through?  No matter what it is you're afraid of, he will take care of you.  He's very protective over his children.  He is faithful to his promises, and he has promised he will always be with us and help us.  He will never leave us to fend for ourselves against the wolves.  We have to allow him to help us though.





"Look at the birds.  They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them.  And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?"

Matthew 6:26



"What is the price of five sparrows - two copper coins?  yet God does not forget a single one of them. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."

Luke 12:6-7




"So don't be afraid, little flock.  For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom."

Luke 12:32



These are the words of Jesus.  We have nothing to be afraid of, we are greatly valued by God!  I've said this before, but he is VERY protective over us.  He is the perfect Father, and he protects his children.  I can't tell you how many times I have gotten myself into trouble, and he always comes to my rescue when I need him most.  I am so afraid of where God may be leading me, but in reality, I have nothing to fear!




O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for help.

Psalm 86:5




When we cry out for help, he doesn't turn a blind eye or a deaf ear.  He listens to our cries.  He wipes away our tears.  He holds us when we need comfort.  He understands what we go through.  He understands the crap in our lives.  Jesus went through a lot of crap too.  Satan tried to tempt him.  People tried to stone him.  People abandoned him.  People used him.  He was betrayed by one of his best friends.  He was punished even though he was innocent.  He was flogged, beaten to a pulp, mocked, spat on, and ultimately was killed.  He gets it, and he wants to be there for us.  When we have nothing to give, he keeps giving.  Fix your eyes on him, rely on him instead of yourself or others.  People will come and go like the weather.  They're here one moment, and gone the next.  He will never leave you though.  He is ALWAYS there with you.  You are his greatest creation and his pride and joy.  What have you got to lose trusting him?





With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.  I will give glory to your name forever, for your love for me is very great.  You have rescued me from the depths of death.

Psalm 86:12-13




He rescued me from the clutches of death - seriously!  I have tried to kill myself three times and had many times where I nearly tried, but was thwarted.  I am still here though.  I don't know why I am still here but I am for a reason.  Everything I've been through in my life - the heartache, the pain, near death, abuse, it all has happened for a reason.  I don't always understand why, but sometimes I do realize why.  Sometimes though we don't find out until we finally see him in the next life.  But we can take comfort in knowing that everything in our lives were not for nothing.  He loves you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!  So let me ask you again: what have you got to lose in trusting him?





O LORD, I give my life to you.  I trust in you, my God!

Psalm 25:1





No comments:

Post a Comment