Monday, October 30, 2017

Here I am! Here I am!

I was looking through my Bible this morning and noticed something interesting in Isaiah.  It's a bit long though so I won't be including the entire thing (it's a couple chapters).  But I would like to point out some things.

In Isaiah 63, starting in verse 15, he asks God where he is.


LORD, look down from heaven; look from your holy, glorious home and see us.  Where is the passion and the might you used to show on our behalf?  Where are your mercy and compassion now?

19  Sometimes it seems as though we never belonged to you, as though we had never been known as your people.


Then chapter 65, God answers.  The first verse says


"I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help.  I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me.  I said 'Here I am, here I am!" to a nation that did not call on my name.

All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people.  But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes."


Then he starts listing the evils they've been doing, such as "insulting me in my face by worshiping idols in their sacred gardens" and "at night they go out among the graves, worshiping the dead."


It got me wondering, "How many times have I wondered where God was, but didn't think about what could be the reason for him being silent.  Now don't get me wrong, sometimes the silence isn't because we did something wrong.


1 Kings 19:12

And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire.  And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper.


Sometimes in silence God shows up, other times he doesn't.  Like when I cut myself.  Afterwards, I often feel like God is further away from me.  I know he's not, but he feels that way.  What if the reason he feels far away is because I'm not looking for him to help me?  Here he is saying "Here I am, here I am!"  But I'm so consumed in my own darkness, that I fail to see he's right there wanting to help me, just waiting for me to ask him for help?

What about you in your own life?  Are you so consumed in the problems of the world, that you fail to see God is right there, just waiting for you to ask him for help?




No comments:

Post a Comment