Sunday, January 28, 2018

Combating Lies

The LORD is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid?  The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Psalm 27:1




I woke up from a nightmare about two hours ago in a hot sweat.  I had a dream that this voice (which sounded VERY creepy) kept repeating to me, "You have no light."  I kept telling it to go away and it kept getting louder and louder until I ultimately couldn't take it anymore and killed myself.  This dream terrified me!  I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go back to sleep after this, but I felt like I needed to write something about it.

A little after I woke up, Psalm 27:1 came to mind and I keep repeating that verse in my head.  Even if I have no light, Christ IS my light.  Jesus said, "I am the light of the world, if you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life." (John 8:12)

I don't know if this dream was some sort of attack, or if it was just a nightmare; either way I have to fight lies with truth.  After I woke up from the dream, I woke up my husband because I was absolutely terrified.  I told him what the voice said and his exact words were, "That's a lie from the pits of hell."

How do we combat lies?  By speaking truth.  It doesn't matter what lie it is you're fighting against.  "I'm ugly."  "I'm worthless."  "I'm stupid."  "No one loves/cares about me."  "I'm better off dead than alive."  Do any of these sound familiar to you?  "I am __(fill in your lie you tell yourself)__."

"I'm worthless."

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?" (Matthew 6:26)

"I'm ugly."

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.  (Psalm 139:13-14)

"I'm stupid."

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.  (Proverbs 1:7)

"No one loves/cares about me."

"God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not die, but have eternal life."  (John 3:16)

"I'm better off dead than alive."

"Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.'"  (Ezekiel 33:11 - if God takes no pleasure in the wicked dying, why would he take pleasure in your death?)



Combat the lies with the truth.  The truth will set you free!  (John 8:32)



No comments:

Post a Comment