Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The Case for Christ

My husband and I watched "The Case for Christ" movie last night and it was very good, my husband even said it was the best Christian movie he's ever seen!  So what was the movie about?

It's based on the book under the same title as the movie.  You follow the story of Lee Strobel, an author and writer for the Chicago Tribune.  He finds out his wife Leslie became a Christian, and Lee doesn't understand why.  They were Atheists and prided on following reason.  Lee decides to go out and prove Christianity wrong so he could have "his wife back."

I recommend people watch this movie, including those who believe you can't have reason and be a follower of Christ at the same time.  Lee was a skeptic and had many of the same skepticism as many other people.  Was there a mass hallucination when people thought they had seen Jesus resurrected?  Perhaps Jesus didn't actually die.  If you have skepticism of whether Christianity is true or not, I recommend this movie (I haven't actually read the book, I might read it some time).  The book is a major best-seller so I'm sure it's good.  I've actually met Lee before, great guy!  Anyway, I don't want to give out too much detail about the movie and spoil it.  I know for myself, the questions he had I've had before in my life too.  I know there are probably a lot of people who don't want to see it because they think it's just Christian propaganda.  I'm here to tell you that's not the case.  It's also not a movie where you feel like you're being preached to.  I know for myself, I don't like movies where it feels like I'm being preached to.  I know that may sound odd to hear, but seriously, who wants to be preached to?  "What's the difference between being preached to and hearing a sermon at a church?  Isn't that the same thing?"  No, it's not, but that's a whole other topic.

In the movie, Lee interviews a lot of experts, including theologians, historians, psychiatrists, and even medical doctors, all of whom are very well known in their fields (in other words, he didn't just interview random people in the fields, he sought after major experts).  If you are a skeptic, I highly recommend this movie - not to convince you of my beliefs, but to see for yourself what the evidence is.  If you choose not to believe Christianity, I'm not going to force it on you.  That's not what Christianity is about - to force one belief over the other.  Do I believe Christianity is true?  Yes.  Do I want others to become believers?  Of course!  But again, I'm not going to force it on you.  You have to come to that conclusion on your own.  I'm still going to love you regardless.  So don't look at the title of the movie/book thinking it's just propaganda.  It's really not.  It tackles real questions people have.  Real issues people have with Christianity.  So if you believe you're a person of reason, go see this movie.  After all, what have you got to lose?  If Christianity is false, you've got nothing to lose right?  So check it out :)



No comments:

Post a Comment