Thursday, March 17, 2016

Model Jesus

So this post is a sort of rant.  It seems like so many movies portraying Jesus has someone who looks like a model playing as Jesus.  When the movie "Son of God" came out, there was even a hashtag hottjesus!  Now maybe it just bothers me and no one else, but I really don't like it when movies do this.  I mean look at the guy who played Jesus in Son of God!



No wonder the hashtag was "hottjesus"!

When I think of how Jesus may have looked, I think about the passage in Isaiah 52:13-15:

"See how my servant will succeed!
He will be raised up, exalted, highly honored!
Just as many were appalled at him,
because he was so disfigured
that he didn't even seem human
and simply no longer looked like a man,
so now he will startle many nations;
because of him, kings will be speechless.
For they will see what they had not been told,
they will ponder things they had never heard."


Now, this could be talking about when Jesus was flogged and crucified.  He was so disfigured that he no longer looked like a man.  But when you come across verse two in the next chapter, it says:

For before him he grew up like a young plant,
like a root out of dry ground.
He was not well-formed or especially handsome;
we saw him, but his appearance did not attract us.


So what do we do with this?  I think Isaiah 53 is all about Jesus, check it out yourself and see how many similarities it talks about Jesus!  Anyway, he wasn't especially handsome, his appearance did not attract people.

The best portrayal of Jesus in movies I've seen is when he isn't looking like he could be some sort of model.  He looks like an average guy!  I hope this helps put some things in perspective for people.

Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment