Friday, July 31, 2015

Idolatry

Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
- 1 John 5:22


 I'll confess, I have a problem with having idols, but I think a lot of us do.  Whether it's people or things, we have a big problem with idols, especially in the U.S.  We don't typically "worship" idols like people used to.  But we spend a lot of time and energy on idols.  We spend a lot of money on idols.  We're willing to do anything for our idols, and typically, we don't like to share unless we have to.  If it's a person we seek their attention a lot.  We seek to please this person a lot.  Whatever our idol is we think about it a lot.  Some times it's all we think about.  If it's a car we shine that car a lot.  You could even have an idol and not even realize it, which is what happened to me.  I'm not going to get into the details, but I realized I made an idol out of something too late.  I had to part ways with this thing and it was really hard to do.  I never meant to make it an idol, but I did just that.  I didn't worship it, but I spent a lot of time and energy on it.  I had to part ways with this thing no matter how hard it was.

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
- I Corinthians 10:14

It's still hard, but it's starting to get easier.  It's hard to let go of something important to you like an idol.  But idols separate us from God.  He understands our weakness though, so when we try and when we struggle, he understands and will help us along the way.  It won't be easy, it'll be very difficult, but it'll be worth it in the end.  I don't know about you but I would rather have a better relationship with God than have an idol.  I would rather have something eternal than something temporary.  Anyway, this is what was on my heart today.  If you're struggling with having an idol, I hope you'll flee from it and will go back to God.  He's worth it, I guarantee it.



2 comments:

  1. Someone making an idol of a car?

    Nah. Can't be true!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGMsBjSSsvM

    ReplyDelete