Thursday, July 30, 2015

Forgiveness

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- 1 John 1:9

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remember your sins no more."
- Isaiah 43:25

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.
- Acts 3:19

"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD.  "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."
- Isaiah 1:18

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
- 2 Corinthians 5:17

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.
- Ephesians 1:7

Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
- Hebrews 10:17

The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him.
- Daniel 9:9

For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- Colossians 1:13-14

As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
- Psalm 103:12

Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance?  You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.  You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.
- Micah 7:18-19



I've been thinking about forgiveness a lot today.  Lately I've been feeling really guilty about something I did, and I wondered, "Could God actually forgive me for that?"  I know it sounds kind of silly to wonder that as a Christian, but this is something I struggle with some times.  I even feel as if God should punish me or I won't learn to not do it again next time.  But God isn't like that.  He doesn't punish us when we do something wrong.  Even though he knows well often times take advantage of him, he still would rather give us mercy.  Lately I keep repenting of what I did and I feel like it's just not enough.  But really, I only needed to repent once and that was enough.  I need to realize he's not angry with me; he wants to show me mercy, not punish me.  I have to remember Jesus took my punishment already.  God has compassion on me, even in my weakness.  If you're struggling with forgiveness, know you're not alone.  But God forgives you if you just ask him, and you only need to ask him once.  He's a compassionate and merciful God.  He knows if you're really repentant.  He knows we try to change.  He'll help us change.  We have to trust him though that he'll help us. 

2 comments:

  1. If we do not act like we are forgiven and live like it, we have to ask if we really believe it.

    And if we really realize what we've been forgiven of, joy should dominate our lives.

    ReplyDelete