Friday, September 1, 2017

Know Who You Are

Earlier this week I got in a debate with someone on Facebook (I don't typically do that - I'm really not a debater).  They're always complaining about stupid stuff like how white, conservative, Christians are evil and stuff.  I was just sick of it.  So I jumped in.  They threw some really low blows.  First they made fun of my weight (calling me a polar bear and a pig).  Then they made fun of my husband for having Autism.  Made some low blows about my dad.  Oh, and told me how "white" I am (I'm part Hispanic so jokes on them).  It was one blow after another.  Normally in the past I would've been extremely hurt by it.  It didn't bother me this time though.  I actually kinda laughed at it.  They weren't saying any new knowledge I didn't know.  Am I fat?  Yes.  Does my husband have Autism?  Yes, and I do too.  Did my dad used to sell insurance?  Yes (though despite what this person thought, my dad was never on Wheel of Fortune, lol).  Am I white?  Yes but not completely (though I don't understand why skin color is such a big deal today).  Am I a conservative?  Yes.  Am I a Christian?  Yes.  See what I mean?  Nothing was new, they just decided to attack me with this information.  You know why it didn't bother me though?  I know who I am in Christ.

Now this doesn't mean I don't struggle with my identity in Christ, I DEFINITELY struggle with it daily.  It's difficult to see ourselves in the eyes of Jesus.  I've been having a lot of help from a couple people on this.  My Christianity has been called into question several times.  Some people thought because I struggle with suicide/cutting, I'm really a goat instead of a sheep (in other words, Jesus is going to say "I never knew you" and send me to hell).  Someone told me I have no fruit (of the Spirit) so I don't have the Holy Spirit in me (another way of saying I'm going to hell).  Someone recently said I blasphemed the Holy Spirit because of my views on speaking in tongues (which means I'm going to hell).  A couple other people have told me because I sometimes swear then I'm really not a Christian (once again, going to hell).  There are so many insults, whether it's my physical body, my Christianity, my struggles, or whatever.  I've grown up being insulted all my life.  I have PTSD after all because I was severely bullied.  Insult after insult.  I'm starting to not really care though.  I'll admit, sometimes I do still struggle with it.  I doubt myself constantly.  I've thought poorly of myself since I was around five years old, that's over 20 years!  It's difficult to change.  But I am making progress.  My entire worldview has been going through a change.  First I finally realized that Jesus really does love me.  Now I'm working on seeing myself the way He sees me.  It's tough for sure.  I am making progress though.

How do we see ourselves the way Jesus sees us?  By looking in His Word.  Some of my favorite verses are like Psalm 139 where it says how He put us together in our mother's wombs.  He created us - and He doesn't make mistakes.

We are precious in His eyes.  He doesn't see us as worthless pieces of garbage.  We are more valuable to Him than the stars!  He loves YOU more than you could EVER imagine.  That's why Jesus paid the price for you!  He bought you, to set you free!  Don't listen to the enemy who says you're worth nothing!  He's a liar.  Look in God's Word and there you will see just how valuable you are to God :)



No comments:

Post a Comment