Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Brokenness Aside




We used to sing this song at our church in Knoxville (The Point Church).  I've always liked this song, but I was thinking a lot about it this morning.

People....we are all so broken - anyone who tells you differently is lying.  Some day we won't be broken anymore - we'll be whole.  Until then, how do we deal with our brokenness?

Brokenness takes many forms.  For me, my brokenness is my mental illnesses, addictions, self-destructive behavior, and lack of trust for people.  I've been burned, betrayed, and abandoned so many times, that I've just learned to not trust anyone.  This makes me very lonely though....I tried to trust people, I tried to let my walls down, but I built them back up, if not even more so than before.  I don't want to be like this though.  I want to trust people.  I mean, how can I expect people to trust me, if I can't trust people myself?  Having to carry my burdens and brokenness on my own is something that will crush me to the point of death; but I know I'm not alone.  I have my husband, whom I have come to trust, though it's not always perfect - but is any relationship perfect?  I've also come to trust God more.  Usually I can't cry, I've just trained myself to not cry.  Yesterday though, I did cry a lot - I guess I'm finally learning how to grieve.

Brokenness....something we all have to deal with in some form.  Sometimes brokenness comes through addictions.  Sometimes brokenness comes in rage.  Brokenness takes many forms for different people.

How do we deal with brokenness?

We rely on Jesus.  We need to fix our eyes on Christ.  I'm telling you from experience - we can't deal with our brokenness without Him.  You might be able to for a while, but in the end, you won't make it.



The LORD is close to the broken-hearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

Psalm 34:18



He is close to the broken-hearted, and those whose spirits are crushed....He is close to us in our brokenness.  When we are weak, He is strong (2 Corinthians 12:10).  When we're so weak that we feel like we can't go on anymore, He helps us keep going.  When we've fallen, He picks us back up.  We are NOT alone!  He will NOT abandon you.  He may feel distant, but He's right there with you.  Rely on Jesus to heal your brokenness.



No comments:

Post a Comment