Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Country Club Christianity

So Christmas morning I woke up around 3:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up to watch tv.  One of the shows was American Dad.  Now, I've never liked that show honestly, but for some reason I watched it.  I was so angry with the episode I watched and it convinced me even more why I hate that show.  So what happened?

So the main character (the dad) was a Christian.  He wanted to play as Jesus in a play but the pastor said, "You're too fat, you'd be better suited as playing as Santa Claus."  The dad didn't want to but he did it anyway.  He's miserable playing as Santa and then the play starts.  He looks to see who is playing as Jesus and it's this weird alien.  The dad starts to beat the alien up on public tv and a bunch of church leaders saw it on the news.  They all call the pastor (including the pope called him) and the pastor asks the dad to see him.  He tells the dad, "You're being kicked out of the church."  The dad can't believe it and to make matters worse the pastor says, "No not just the church, you're being kicked out of all Christianity."  Then he says, "Hand over your badge."  So the dad gives the pastor some badge that looks like a cross.  Then the pastor tells him there are three ways to become a Christian again.  He either has to kill the antichrist, find the holy grail, or give millions of dollars.  Turns out the dad's teenage daughter, her boyfriend had them adopt a baby, who turned out to be the antichrist.  The baby possesses the dad's son where he's crawling on the walls like a spider and is speaking Aramaic.  The dad gets beaten pretty badly by the baby.  So the teenage daughter sends the baby somewhere where the dad can't try to kill him.  The baby ends up being adopted by Sarah Palin. The dad survives and the alien says, "Oh, I found out I've been drinking out of the holy grail so now you're back in."

This made me so angry (seems like I'm getting angry often these days).  They made Christianity like some country club!  I admit, there may be some churches that treat it like a country club, and shame on them for doing that!  Christianity is FAR from being some country club.  People are being killed and persecuted all over the world for worshipping Christ.  Christianity is not an easy religion.  It's not like "Oh, I'm a Christian, I'm not going to have any more problems!  Life is going to be easy."  Far from it.  Dare I even say it's more difficult than someone who doesn't believe?  Jesus promised that life would not be easy for Christians.  "The world hated me first, therefore it will hate you too."  We are not loved by the world because they hated Jesus first.  Because we are associated with Jesus, we too will be hated.  We have to carry our crosses to follow Him.  We're not some social group where you just golf all day bragging about money (unfortunately there are people who claim to follow Christ and make it like that).  Many Christians don't even have money.  My husband and I are dead broke.  The only reason we're not living on the streets is because our parents are helping us.  My husband can't find a job and I'm disabled.  You don't get much money on disability and he's got no income.  We can hardly ever give money to the church because we're so poor.  One time when I went to Peru on a missions trip, I met a guy with Polio.  He had more joy than I had ever seen!  It's hard following Christ, but there are rewards in it too.  We learn there is someone who loves us more than we could ever imagine.  He loves us no matter how screwed up we are.  No matter what we've done, He still loves us.  He understands our pain and suffering.  We are never alone because He is always with us.  "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  We will suffer, but the creator of the universe is with us!  We are hated by the world, but we are loved by the creator of the world!  So go ahead, mock us, try to hurt us, but we will not be overcome by you.  The Romans tried to exterminate us, the radical muslims in the middle east are trying to destroy us.  But we will not be defeated.  Our God is greater than anything you could EVER do to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment