Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Unrealistic Standards of Beauty

 I’m gonna go on a bit of a tangent. I’m so tired of society’s unrealistic standards of beauty - and EVERYONE in some way has been effected by it. I’ve seen how guys ogle at girls who are teeny tiny (like the model in the second pic) and say “that’s the ideal woman!” But most women don’t look like that - nor CAN they even look like that! We are all built differently. Some girls are curvier than others. There is no “ideal” body. We were all created exactly as we were supposed to be. It is a flaw in OUR character and to think otherwise. A curvy girl is just as beautiful as a thin girl. It’s the same with men though. Women will look at men with abs and think “I’ve gotta have that!” If the guy is super thin though, she won’t even look at him. Although, it seems “dad bod” is in for a lot of women these days. Anyway, my point is, the standard of beauty all around has become ridiculously unrealistic. We judge everyone based on whether they LOOK a certain way. Whether she’s got a tiny waist or he’s got a six pack. She’s got at least a D-Cup size bra or he’s got nice pecs. Whether they’ve got a nice trunk in the back or whatever. Some even go as far to say “no one above this weight/height!” People don’t take in consideration of health. For an example, I’m 5’6”. A healthy weight for my height is around 150. At one point, I was considered underweight, I was 139 lbs, yet I was still called by other kids around me fat because I didn’t have this tiny waist or flat stomach like other girls. What’s worse I have body dysmorphic disorder so already every time I looked in the mirror I felt like I was looking at a monster. Even when you take my views of myself out though, kids thought I was fat, even though I was underweight because from an early age we are brought up to think of what the “ideal” person looks like. We are trained to think this way. Instead of considering every individual is created differently, just as every person’s fingerprint is different, no person’s body is built the same. We are not like animals where you take a dog to a dog show and they say “the perfect height, weight, fur length, fur texture, fur color, eye color, eye shape, body shape, tail shape, tail length, ear shape, ear length will make the perfect dog for this breed!” We are human beings! We are ALL created in the very image of God! We should treat each other as such. What arrogance do we have to say “this image-bearer of God is not the ideal image of beauty to me!” Shame on all of us who have done that, because we have all done it at some point. True beauty comes from within, and then it radiates like the sun! We should promote health for all bodies. That doesn’t mean if you personally want to work for that six pack you shouldn’t, or any other kind of fitness. Make sure however to set REALISTIC goals for yourself though. As for others, look at their hearts, that’s where their true beauty lies.







No comments:

Post a Comment