Monday, January 30, 2017

Death of Me

I've been really sick for a while, so I haven't been on the computer much.  We're not sure what's wrong with me but next week we'll find out.  This entry might be shorter than normally because I'm still sick.



So there's a RED song I really like called "Death of Me."  I never realized until recently it's about addiction.  Later I'll post the lyrics to the song on here.  But I want to point out the chorus:


"You tear me down and then you pick me up
You take it all and still it's not enough
You try to tell me you can heal me
But I'm still bleeding you'll be the death of me"


The way addictions work is we have hole in our hearts that isn't being filled.  So we turn to things we hope will fill that void.  Only Jesus can fill that void, but even then, there still feels like something is missing.  Instead of turning to Jesus to help us, we turn to things like drugs, alcohol, sex, self-harm, or even food.  There's a number of things we tend to turn to.  At first, they feel like they fill that void, but then that feeling starts to fade away, so we turn to it more often.  We take a higher dose of those pills.  We drink more.  We cut deeper.  We eat more food, just so we can get that same feeling.  Eventually it catches up to us though and we realize it can't help us, but by that time it's too late.  We're stuck in a spiral.  We can't stop turning to the addictions.  Our addictions can kill us (even literally).  That's why we need to turn to Christ to help us.  He can heal our brokenness.




No comments:

Post a Comment